Classic exercise, great for the chest, shoulders and triceps all dependent on how far apart your hands are. Lots of variations as well to build up and then extend the exercise.
- Lie on the floor face down and place your hands about 36 inches apart while holding your torso up at arms length.
- Lower yourself downward until your chest almost touches the floor as you inhale.
- Now exhale and push your upper body back up to the starting position while squeezing your chest.
- After a brief pause at the top contracted position, you can begin to lower yourself downward again for as many repetitions as needed.
If you are new to this exercise, build up by starting with your knees on the floor or perform the exercise standing up with your palms flat against a wall.
- How far your hands are apart has a massive effect on the muscles used.
- Keep your back straight, look up and smile.